Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Monday, July 13, 2009

Missed it Mondays: Wknd of 7/11-7/12 Edition

Whooooo-a-Wheee! Busy Weekend, I got to do lots, hope you did too...but nuff about me, let's talk about you! Did you have a full weekend around Brooklyn?

Then this "Maybe you missed it Monday" is for you. Wknd of 7/11-7/12 Edition

First stop was marked on the calendar 7/11! as in Free Slurpees at 7-Eleven!
I shot over to the Bed-Stuy boarder 7-Eleven grabbed the biggest cup and then had a moment of reality. I asked the dude behind the counter which was the free size. He handed me a cup like the one pictured to the left.

That cup is almost life-sized. Sheesh! But free is free!

And too much of that Slurpee mix ain't good for me, even though in my life I've probably had three total Slurpees. Of course I had something Blue to celebrate the rare occasion.

After wandering through Restoration on Fulton St. in a hypoglycemic stupor, I made my way to Crown Heights just in time to see Council Member Letitia James (Tish to friends) doing her best to drum up business for the Franklin Av/Sterling Pl Flea Market.
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-11
Councilmember Letitia James "Tish" (center) enticing passersby to check the nascent
Franklin Av/Sterling Pl. Flea Market. Below she seems to be happily product testing.

FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-3
The Council Member was pushing for the Smoothies being made by the ladies of Bristens at 715 Franklin Av (next door). According to Tish her toughest competition were a bunch of locale kids hawking water. For me, the idea of natural banana and mango purifying my blue tongue made for an easy sale.
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-2FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-4
Fresh banana/Mango/Honey Smoothie by Bristen's (over exposed poor photography by yours truly)

I had never heard of Bristen's Eatery (I've actually been meaning to write that Franklin (imho) needs more diverse businesses) but if that smoothie and the cool ladies who made it are any indication, I'd say a good meal is to be had at Bristen's.
I'll check them properly and let you know soon.

FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-1
Councilmember Letitia James "Tish" with a soon to be flea market customer.

While the blender whirled and the ladies and I chatted a smoothie little line had formed before I knew it. I gotta tell ya Ms. James has a pretty effective sales pitch.
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-9
Smoothie in hand, cool sweet natured in belly, I made the rounds of the Franklin/Sterling Flea. It's a modest entrepreneurial encampment as Fleas go but filled with a variety of goodies, like the mobile below there were all variety of crafts.
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-5
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-6

Next things got saucy! (I'm so corny. I know)
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-8
I met up with chef Jason Hait and Marketing Director Ayelet Prizant of the "Pour Gourmet"(below). Jason's a local Chef currently hard at work bringing his sauces to market. He said the Franklin Av/Sterling Place flea market is perfect for him because it's nearby, and provides him an opportunity to get direct feedback from the public plus make some sales.
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-7
I declined to taste the sauces, explaining to Jason, that my reason was the Smoothie, and not a lack of confidence in his culinary skills. Scott then demonstrated he's as skilled with the pitch as he is with the sauces, he pointed out a Plantain based barbeque sauce which he assured me would blend nicely with my then taste sensations. It did. It was delicious, for real though.
I coulda ate a whole bottle of that stuff without a meal.

FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-12
Next I met this duo whose table of jewelry and accessories shimmered in the warm July SUN (Capitalized because after a month like this, we need to be capitalizing on the SUN)
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-14
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-13
And they'd like you know their website is: http://925ikonz.com/
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11-15

I enjoyed my trip to the Franklin Av/Sterling Pl. Flea but there was more to do so I broke out and headed for the subway (the long way) which led me to run into this sister at my fave Fort Greene Triangle; Cuyler Gore Park.Here's her clip:


This was an organized event with signage and everything. Seemed to be similar to those neighborhood blood pressure testings that happens at community events. But I was in a hurry and this wasn't a planned stop, so after this clip I kept it moving. The vibe was cool though, no hypertension there.

After that I was off to (gasp) Manhattan, "The City".
FranklinAv/Sterling Pl Flea Market 7/11
Central Park Lawn
You may ask yourself (or me) Why oh Why would ANYONE choose to go to Manhattan when they could be in Brooklyn?!? And my answer is Central Park, and specifically one of the things I like as a Born and Bred (CityBoy) is the looming presence of the city as a location reminder. Sometimes I draw comfort from the geometric confines that the city provides. And unlike in Prospect Park, it's easier in Central Park to be reminded how much in a city you still are. I like the contrast.

Central Park Skate 7/11
It's even more interesting when you look at what goes on inside and think of the hard fast city being home to these activities...
Central Park Skate 7/11
Which led me to the Skate Dancer's Circle near the Band shell in Central Park that has been going strong for over 30 years. Did you know that your boy "Brooklyn Born" spent most of the 90's going in circles out here trying to pick up women in a space heavily enlivened by gay men? Took me years to figure that out. No wonder the women couldn't understand why I was interested.
Central Park Skate 7/11

Cooley I ran into several characters I hadn't seen in ten years and a circular pleasure ensued. Here's a skate level view, (not for the faint of heart or easy to dizzy)

Then came Sunday 7/12 late in the day I got over to what is fast becoming the ritual end of each season's Afro Punk festival, the AfroPunk Block Party.
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
I did just enough housework Sunday to miss all the concert performances. Sad. I really wanted to see John Forte, after all how many Hip-Hop acts get a presidental pardon, from a white republican President at that! Yeh inflammatory, I know.

Anyway maybe you missed it or maybe you'll enjoy reliving but here's some sights, some sounds and lots a motions from (warning shaky camera) from the day:


Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09 Ladies Stylin'Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09

Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09

Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09
Afro Punk Block Party 7/12/09

Wanna see more? Here's a video clip from the block party:


And as if all that weren't enough I got an earful from damn-near everyone that the Soul Summit, the party in the park (specifically Fort Greene Park) was back and celebrating it's first jam of the summer.
Fort Greene Soul SummitFort Greene Soul Summit
I sped on over and got there while it was still light enough out to notice a lot more people were there than I'd ever seen. The Soul Summit has grown from an outdoor dance party to a nexus for meet-ups, picnics and general socializing. What's additionally cool, and I noticed this as I entered the park, is how well the event works with all the other activities of the park. Tennis was still being played on all courts, bike wheels and soccer balls continued to spin all overlapping each other's energy. beautiful thing.

Fort Greene Soul Summit
Wanna see a shakey clip? Here we go!:


And it keep on an on and on, even after the sun got tired and went down, the dancers and drummers stayed up.
Fort Greene Soul Summit

Fort Greene Soul Summit

Now let's get this Monday over so we can get back to the weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Great depiction from your pics. I spent most of Saturday at Jones Beach. Kept it in on Sat night after it started to rain. Sunday was great... easy going and great energy. Makes you proud to be from Brooklyn.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should just GPS you so I can be in the happening spots instead of reading your blog after the fact. LOL! But glad you have a blog to go to nonetheless!

    dw~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any blogs about the Ft Greene area...CLermont and Myrtle in particular.. I grew up there in the 70's..we moved to FL in 78 w/ my parents...I would love to connect w/ old friends from back then.. Holanda "Abbie" Cabrera-Bershad

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Abbie: There are lot of blogs written in the Fort Greene/Clinton Hill area (several of which are listed on the left side of this page) but since most of those blogs are written by fairly recent transplants (10 yrs or less)I wonder how useful they will be to you. Notable exception may be the ClintonHillChill blog whose writer is three generations deep on Clinton Av. You might wanna contact that writer, maybe you have people in common!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a fabulous weekend - and I'm so glad you brought your camera. Excellent shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for shouting out the Franklin@Sterling Flea market. We're doing our best to create a destination for our community, so kind words are great for the cause. BTW, the chef you referenced is named Jason Hait aka "The Pour Gourmet", not Scott :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for coming by the flea market and giving us a shout-out. I'm surprised I hadn't found this post until now, but will definitely be reading in the future. I am The Pour Gourmet's marketing director (and the woman in the photo above, with Jason Hait).

    Could you please update his name in your post? We're still going strong at the Franklin & Sterling flea market every weekend through Sept. 26. Hope you'll come by again!

    I plan to link your blog on our site and my personal blog, as well. Thanks again for the shout-out and hope to see you at the flea again.

    Ayelet Prizant
    www.thepourgourmet.com

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your comments, no really, we would. Go for it. What's your Brooklyn view?