---

Loading...

Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Loading...

Translate

About this Blog

My Photo

BrooklynBornThis blog started in my head when I listened in the 90's to friends who feared Brooklyn and newcomers who blogged about BK as if it barely existed before they arrived. Brooklyn as Tabula Rasa. My blog satisfies my need to hear and air feelings of B'klyn from the people whose life experience was born here. Also I hope to provide balance to some of the revisionist historical musings I've seen how Brooklyn and her residents used to be, we're still here. If we can all live as best possible while appreciating the past and neighbors we've inherited that would be great too.

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Tree (is ripped off) in Brooklyn

Seriously, what's up with the trees?

IMG_8021 1
A several weeks ago I had the serendipitous experience of seeing some torn down tree limbs (generally small ones) and then minutes later going online and finding photos of the same trees on the blog "IloveFranlinAve".

"ILFA" concluded it to be vandalism and I wanted to take the time to write clearly about what I though was a different reason the branches might have come down, I thought it was "Citizen Pruning".

As is oft the case lately, I don't have much time to blog, (least of my worries) so I made a mental note, but no actual post. To expound on Citizen Pruning, it does require training and certification before you can go ripping down branches like an urban Tarzan, but my opinion based on need and Barcelona (photo below), was that this was the logic behind the fallen branches.

See a friend in Spain once pointed out that the beautiful trees lining their famous Barcelona landmark "LaRambla"
(think Eastern Parkway with the center road saved for pedestrians, cafes and the prerequisite annoying mime) consisted mostly of the same trees we have here in Brooklyn.

Big difference? Nope not their chain smoking and infeasible midday naps, the difference is the trees over there are pruned.
(Photo source:http://www.barcelonapoint.com)

Just in case you're not a garden variety geek and you don't know a well pruned tree grows better fuller and with more balance, let me tell you to it does. Here's more about that.

So that was my thought when I saw branches over Franklin Ave. Also I personally think alot of the trees that have been recently and thankfully planted (I assume as part of the 1 Million Tree plan) are set too deep in the ground, causing some branches on these saplings to be just a few feet above ground.

So all that an more was my opinion which I meant to respond with to ILFA's original and first on the scene posting. And I woulda got to it later if I hadn't seen this on Bedford and Park on Tuesday:

IMG_8007


And these on Park Pl. Between Franklin and Classon:
Torn Park Pl, btw Classon & Franklin Av 6/1 (2)


Torn Park Pl, near Classon Av 6/1 (4)




Torn Park Pl, btw Classon & Franklin Av 6/1C  (2)Torn Park Pl, near Classon Av 6/1 (3)



Torn Park Pl, btw Classon & Franklin Av 6/1 (1)
And this on Eastern Parkway between Franklin and Classon:
Torn Eastern Pkwy 6/1 (4)

Torn Eastern Pkwy 6/1 (3)

Torn Eastern Pkwy 6/1 (2)



All in the same morning! I was out the night before and not a leaf on the ground, by 9am there was that damage.

I saw this one the next day also on Park Pl:
torn 6/2/10 Park Pl angle1

torn 6/2/10 Park Pl angle3

Now I'm still not 100% convinced that it's not an misguided attempt at citizen pruning, cause yeh a lot of trees in the area like this one:
Needing a pruning1

could use some Sprucing up (awwww....yeh I had to) but this one was ignored.

Then on the other hand I saw this:
Torn Park Pl, btw Classon & Franklin Av 6/1B (1)

It's an evergreen tree! Is there really a need to rip a limb out of that! c'mon son?

So what is it? School kids/teens? (maybe that would explain the Eastern Parkway trees which were clearly ripped more than cut. Lots of school age kids mess with trees on Eastern Pkwy, I did at that age) If not kids is it perhaps a Brontosaurus or just a disgruntled Meatasaurus? Of course Brontosaurus don't exist but there's definitely something manic and serial going on with these tree trimmings.

I've put out a question to some local authorities asking if this is a city led thing, maybe the city has picked the wrong "Groundskeeper Willie" for the job. So far no word back.

What do you folks think?