Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Piano to the People!

Saw this story in today's online NY Times and had to share. 60 pianos (as we speak!) are being prepared for placement throughout the city (although I'm thinking that means Manhattan)

(I was wrong the pianos will be in the five boroughs) Map below

And the piano's purpose? Amusement of the masses. Now I can already imagine a million inappropriate scenarios but... I'm keeping my mind outta the gutter on this one. In a world where most urban kids have little contact with classical musical instruments I think this will be great.

Here's the link from the group "Sing for Hope" and according to the info on their site:
 "Touring internationally since 2008, “Play Me, I’m Yours” is an artwork by artist Luke Jerram."
Much of the labor and time in this project according to the Times is made possible through donation and volunteerism.

And the map of where to find the public pianos:


Now what they need to do is give out the sheet music to classic hiphop samples...

Makes me imagine all the city stories and episodes this will generate all summer. Impromptu Billy Joe
concert in the Lower East Side, Alicia Keys blesses the crowd in Harlem, yeh I'm going in, with the optimism and why not? With an idea like this art project how far are we from a city like this:


Although I could do with a few less "Solid Gold" dance steps, but I guess that's the point, eh.

(Btw: in the video, the dude in the pink headband and green cutout shirt will win-your-heart. I don't know his name, but if I knew it I'd remember.)

1 comment:

  1. The dude's name is Johnny Vegas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Vegas

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your comments, no really, we would. Go for it. What's your Brooklyn view?