Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Heatwave!! Hot and Bothered in Prospect Park

Crunchy! That's how some people are feeling after the Heatwave, (nope not the weather or the 70's singing group who we love, even when they're out of key.) The Heatwave I'm referring to was version "9.0" of a unofficially organized barbecue in Prospect Park, and everybody's still simmering over the aftermath.

Interestingly my dude mentioned it was happening last weekend and for a brief moment I considered going. Instead I chose the Soul Summit in Fort Greene Park, and would have never thought of it again had it not been for the debate that followed.

In short, small group promotes big event, without permits, gathers hundreds, maybe thousands of people to Prospect for massive barbecue, people leave, trash is everywhere. Parks/sanitation Depts. are overwhelmed, later reports of rats (I imagine partying like "Templeton" from "Charlott's Web") and days later it's reported on blogs where everyone takes one of three positions;

"You people need to clean your messes!"*
"Who you calling you people?!"* (sprinkle with racially charged accusations)

and finally my favorite:
"littering sucks"*

(*paraphrasing) btw I'm down with #1 and #3 if you care.

If you didn't click the link above I'm wonder if Prospect Park was like this after "Heatwave 9.0"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your comments, no really, we would. Go for it. What's your Brooklyn view?