Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

About this Blog

My photo

BrooklynBornThis blog started in my head when I listened in the 90's to friends who feared Brooklyn and newcomers who blogged about BK as if it barely existed before they arrived. Brooklyn as Tabula Rasa. My blog satisfies my need to hear and air feelings of B'klyn from the people whose life experience was born here. Also I hope to provide balance to some of the revisionist historical musings I've seen how Brooklyn and her residents used to be, we're still here. If we can all live as best possible while appreciating the past and neighbors we've inherited that would be great too.

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dean Street Park gets high quality grass

IMG_2389.JPG
A few months back I noticed what looked like a baseball field tarp roll in Dean Street park where Prospect Heights wedges in between Park Slope and Fort Greene.
IMG_2388.JPG
I meant to spread the word because I have a fascination with the futuristic artificial turf that's been sprouting all over the city in the last three years.
IMG_2387.JPG
Unlike the plastic green bristles of turf that can be found at a home improvement store, the fake green put down by the city has actual strands (blades almost) of "grass" and what appears to be sod down at the root.
IMG_2386.JPG
I seem to recall hearing it's composed of rubber and partially the remains of recycled sneakers which seems poetically environmental in an artificial way. But then you see what chemicals are used to cut the grass and environmentally friendly becomes less so.
IMG_2384.JPG
Anyway I wonder if it makes you run faster.