Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The United States of America

The results are in of course and Barack Hussein Obama is our President. I could not be any happier. To celebrate today's "PhotoWednesday" installment and the day after history was so clearly made I present this shot I took and was drawn to a few weeks back.

Nuanced American 2

I don't normally do this but I want to explain why I took this photo and what I think it means. First the photo isn't doctored. There was no photoshop'ing no filters, and in fact no black and white film or setting. This picture came when my camera was set for a typical spectrum of colors. However the glare of light was so intense through the flag that it blinded the camera to those colors, leaving only the subtle spectrum from black to gray to white and back again. It's like an x-ray revealing to me, sameness, except for that delicate nuance between our positions as well as our unlikely unity resulting from the fact that were are all different values of the same substance. Sometimes we're more, sometimes less, depending on which angle and from whatever context we are viewed.

Everyone will not see this point of view. Some will refuse to see and accept how much more unity there is than is not. Some will look at what I think is so majestic and beautifully inspiring and see something foreboding and sinister. But that's the thing about hope it's usually only there when you want to see it.

On a lighter note I invite you to check out one of the first posts I wrote on this blog back on February which alluded prophetically to this momentous election victory.

Enjoy: http://umbrooklynborn.blogspot.com/2008/02/anything-is-possible-ny-giants-super.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your comments, no really, we would. Go for it. What's your Brooklyn view?