---

Loading...

Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Loading...

Translate

About this Blog

My Photo

BrooklynBornThis blog started in my head when I listened in the 90's to friends who feared Brooklyn and newcomers who blogged about BK as if it barely existed before they arrived. Brooklyn as Tabula Rasa. My blog satisfies my need to hear and air feelings of B'klyn from the people whose life experience was born here. Also I hope to provide balance to some of the revisionist historical musings I've seen how Brooklyn and her residents used to be, we're still here. If we can all live as best possible while appreciating the past and neighbors we've inherited that would be great too.

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Raccoon!! + Soledad O'Brien!! = Breaking News

Raccoon in Brooklyn!
The Raccoon! Not quite the eye of the tiger. (video below)

BREAKING NEWS! - So I interrupt my program of fall foliage, to announce I have captured on film the elusive Downtown Brooklyn Raccoon. In a blog posting (I never wrote) I encountered The Raccoon weeks ago on the night before the gov'ment wiped out my WaMu shares. I never posted this because in addition to being somewhat drunk I didn't have a clear photo... (It was raining that night and I had the sting of financial ruin in my eyes...)

But tonight the Clinton Hill Raccoon is captured! on film at least.

I was originally intending on writing about the discussion/forum on Black Men that was organized by two time congress-hopeful Kevin Powell and moderated by CNN's Soledad O'Brien, but after leaving the event I wandered down to the Lafayette Av/Fulton St triangle and encountered the great furry beastie.

Raccoon in Brooklyn!
(outside of Lafayette Presbyterian Church)

The Raccoon was chillin, hard. Strolling across streets, through crosswalks, it made a pit-stop at Moe's and looked more comfortable on Lafayette than most 1st year Pratt students. Now for all you suburban folks, country heads and new-comers, I know you can throw a rock in the woods and hit a family of raccoons, but I'm impressed by the fact that at 9pm on crowded streets this raccoon was holding sway.

I marveled at it's marbled majesty and the amount of luck it took for the fat fuzzy creature (who didn't seem interested in sprinting) to navigate city streets. That is until I saw it wait for the light at South Elliot. (see below)

Raccoon Crossing (Brooklyn Style)
(triangle of Lafayette Av & South Elliot, Fulton St.)

In minor seriousness the fuzzy dude (or dudette) seems very much at home. Really as you can see in some pics it waddled right past me and others with little concern or aggression toward us. So I hope nobody fucks with it. (As long as it's not rabid or ripping the throats out of small pets and children with it's unnaturally dexterous clawed thumb) If it does turn out to be a rabid threat, screw 311 let's get this guy.

Here's The video (very blairwitch at the start) it's best part is during the encounter at Moe's: