Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Economy, Ludicrous Speed and You

I started the year promising continuous optimism, and I support that message. At the same time with yesterday's sub 7000 plunge of the stock market to 1997 levels, the expectation of record job loss again from last month and this story that Maurice "Hank" Greenberg, (pictured) 83 year old former CEO of A.I.G. (A.I.G. being beneficiary of another billion dollar tax-payer cash gift after post billions in loses of course) is suing A.I.G. the company he led until 2005, claiming A.I.G. ruined his finances and health by lying about A.I.G. finances, things are moving closer to "Ludicrous-Speed" by the day.

So yeh after all that, optimism without positive proof seems pretty stupid so I thought I should search for some answers. Plus lately a lot of friends of Brooklyn (yep, FOBS) have been losing sleep, nails and asking questions about what to do when unemployed, and frankly I had few non-punchline answers. (have a drink- *zing!) But after a little googling, I found this gem from the NY Times, getting elbows deep in the "How-To's of Unemployment".

Cool of the Grey Lady, eh?

Then it went from cool to AWESOME when I looked up and noticed the article was penned seventeen years ago this March back in 1992!

Even MORE AWESOME! the first paragraph leads with:

With the nation's unemployment rate now at 7.3 percent, the highest in almost 17 years, tens of thousands of Americans are applying for unemployment compensation for the first time.

7.3 percent unemployment?!? Right now unemployment is at 7.6! And it's expected to jump to a full-on 8 percent when the next report comes this Friday! Awesome.



Y'know what? Have that drink and "Smoke um if you got'um".

1 comment:

  1. And Obama proves that he definitely IS NOT muslim with a pork-filled relief bill. I think there r funds put aside for half-brothers of deaf-mute albino limo drivers with carpal tunnel. great job so far black man. No stab, but its hard to keep campaign promises when u r trying to make a right turn with a vehicle thats only designed to make lefts.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your comments, no really, we would. Go for it. What's your Brooklyn view?