Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

About this Blog

My photo

BrooklynBornThis blog started in my head when I listened in the 90's to friends who feared Brooklyn and newcomers who blogged about BK as if it barely existed before they arrived. Brooklyn as Tabula Rasa. My blog satisfies my need to hear and air feelings of B'klyn from the people whose life experience was born here. Also I hope to provide balance to some of the revisionist historical musings I've seen how Brooklyn and her residents used to be, we're still here. If we can all live as best possible while appreciating the past and neighbors we've inherited that would be great too.

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Friday, May 8, 2009

I went to the 2009 Brooklyn Blogfest, few words, pix

I attended the 2009 Brooklyn Blogfest at powerHouse books in D.U.M.B.o.

Brooklyn Blogfest 2009

Besides the sticker-shock at seeing people who I had unconsciously created mental images for materialize in the flesh, it was a great opportunity to find out what the grassroots on the otherside looks like. All sincerity it looks like sweet creativity.

I don't have much of a post, getting busier these days still moving(within B'Klyn of course), more to come on that but here's what stood out to me:

The celebration of what I'll call "everyarts"; the expressions of personal often unrefined but deeply personal perspectives and aesthetics which are the center of what any artwork is, that is what I say on display at the Brooklyn Blogfest. I thought it was empowering in the way the cliche'd siblings organic and grassroots are truly meant to be.

Also I dug what seemed to be a spoken uninhibited stream of consciousness displayed by Jake Dobkin. When the guy has a point, believes in it, he makes it.

Dobkin on personal blogs: "we all have to accept... that we're really not that interesting"

Here's a few pix of what I saw:

Brooklyn Blogfest 2009
Brooklyn Blogfest 2009
Otherwise I was too busy listening to the speakers, watching great photos and poignant videos and otherwise being informed to take more pics. And I left the evening without any snark on mine or anyone's parts. Impressive.