Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Photo Wednesday 02/09/10 : Snow Job Edition

snowsign NYC Blizzard start 2/10
As the flakes of NYC Blizzard 2,10 start to fall... the sign seems to be saying something....

Canceling school. A day early. Mannnnnnnn..... the Mayor must be missing my rants.

But I won't give in to the Mayor or anyone else. (I'm not your MONKEY!)

Nope.

But I will say the idea of school closures in New York City, shock and annoy me. Instantly I can't help but question the toughness of today's kids, and my peers, their parents. My sole anecdotal utterance would be that I once walked to school in nearly two feet of snow two miles and in two hours time. True story. If the city didn't closed the schools, I had to go to school. So I went. During that trek the swirling snow and I were the only things moving. When I finally got to school, I was one of about 37 students who showed up. We sat in the auditorium watching 16millimeter Bullwinkle films. I never liked Bullwinkle.

I found this in the NY Times coverage of the school canceling decision:

"On Jan. 8, 1996, officials closed schools as a huge northeaster approached, and kept them closed for two days under a blanket of 20 inches. It was the first time since 1978 that a snow day had been declared the previous day."
And just like that the light came on. Within that period fits my entire Public School existence. All those mornings listening to the radio, watching the news waiting for my school's name to be called as closed. It never happened. No matter how bad, I never got a snowday off. Just left out in the cold.
snowsign2 NYC Blizzard start 2/10

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm looking outside at the storm and thinking it really isn't much worse than the average snowstorm in Toronto (known throughout Canada for its tepid winters) much less the kind of blizzards I grew up with in western Canada. And sure enough, we had to go to school. I don't think I can even remember school being close because of a snowstorm.

    But maybe the transportation system can't handle it here. I'm assuming the subways are running today. Hell, if I was a kid, I'd love being out in the city in a snowstorm . . .

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five hours later.

    Hmmmm . . . maybe I spoke too soon. The blizzard got real!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your comments, no really, we would. Go for it. What's your Brooklyn view?