Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

About this Blog

My photo

BrooklynBornThis blog started in my head when I listened in the 90's to friends who feared Brooklyn and newcomers who blogged about BK as if it barely existed before they arrived. Brooklyn as Tabula Rasa. My blog satisfies my need to hear and air feelings of B'klyn from the people whose life experience was born here. Also I hope to provide balance to some of the revisionist historical musings I've seen how Brooklyn and her residents used to be, we're still here. If we can all live as best possible while appreciating the past and neighbors we've inherited that would be great too.

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Photo Wednesday 02/03/10 : Retouched Edition

The derelict Loews Kings Theater in Brooklyn, Aug09
I just wrote what was my Photo Wednesday post for today, then I read today's New York Times and saw this that the Leow's King's Theater, a classic movie palace of the 1930's, 40's and 50's on Flatbush Avenue (in the Heart of Flatbush, Brooklyn) long left to neglect and ruin, is being restored. I had to stop my "presses" I didn't even read the whole times article but my first response is this is great news.

And it's the only major thing I agree with boro prez Marty about.

The Times has pics of the interior which I've never seen, I took a few shots of the exterior which is still mighty despite the disrepair.
The derelict Loews Kings Theater in Brooklyn, Aug09

Flatbush was once a marquee avenue in more ways than one. A few blocks east of the Loew's stood the Albemarle Theater at the start of Albemarle Avenue.

The Former Albemarle Theater now a Jehovah's Witness Church
Seen above this theater has become a Jehovah's Witness church, but I remember when it was a theater. I saw the film "The Empire Strikes Back" here. It was my mom and I, afterward I was so distraught by the ending (I was young, and huge fan of the previous Star Wars movie) that my mother couldn't take me home. To cheer me up she brought me over to the little McDonalds on Flatbush where I ate till I felt better.

It'd be great if a new generation can enjoy a grand theater on Flatbush again. Of course I should probably read the article, for all I know it could be the new home of an unwanted sports team.

(btw this week's photo wednesday was of the 4th Ave subway station illuminated, but that'll come next week.)