Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Photo Wedns: 8/26/09: Elves in Gravesend?, Summit in Fort Greene?

a soul summit?

I took this photo in Fort Greene Park Sunday, during the last "Soul Summit"(Dance Party) and I think it reps specialness in a kind of "summer's last rays" way.

But then I was also thinking, I don't rep outer Brooklyn enough. And I realized it's true, here at the Brooklyn Born blog I don't rep the far flung sections of Brooklyn enough. Not that those furthest from Manhattan care, which is one of the reasons I like those Brooklynites out there so.

And considering that most of what people think reps Brooklyn; "Hip!" (Williamsburg) or "Crime!" (East New York) or "Insufferably Breeding!" (Park Slope) is such as small percentage of the borough (I haven't checked the measurements but I feel confident that the all the East River bordering sections of Brooklyn combined are smaller than the Marine Park section, for example) and you have neighborhoods like Canarsie (also huge, granted larger neighborhoods have the advantage of not being sub-divided into sub-neighbors that are easier for new-comers to bite and chew.) that I haven't even written about despite living, laughing and being poisoned and on a separate occasion stung by the most scheming & vicious mosquitoes ever, I figured the least I could do is give some light to areas that the blogosphere tends not to shine on. Plus I did spend half my childhood between Flatbush and Mill Basin (and yet still put in much time in Crown and Prospect Heights).

I took a bunch of shots on the way out to Coney Island Saturday past and this house caught my eye. It's out on Ocean Parkway in Gravesend, which to me might as well mean "where Sheepshead, Coney Island, Midwood and Bensonhurst meet" but that's my take. Got a problem with that assessment, correct me.

Meanwhile enjoy the boarded up Elf house:

got gold? Cookies? shamrocks?


Enjoy

1 comment:

  1. You can see the house behind it is also boarded up, this means that if you go by there this time next year there will be a 12 million dollar five story managere in it's place, ala Ocean Parkway, and all of New York for that matter. You would never Know we were in a recession. Nice photo, it will be a great before and after comparison

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your comments, no really, we would. Go for it. What's your Brooklyn view?