Search the archives of this Brooklyn Born Blog!

Translate

More about this blog

Brooklyn Born Blog Subjects

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Photo Wednesday 05/26/10 : Native Brooklynite Edition

Native Dance at 5myles
Above: Brooklyn Natives? (photo from a performance at the FiveMyles Gallery in Crown Heights, 558 St. Johns Place)

Photo Wednesday will have to be a little abstract this week. too much outside work to do, but below are some links I found amusing about the B the R the O ta Okay....

http://www.observer.com/2010/brobos-paradise

http://gawker.com/5547241/brooklyn-is-cool-until-you-start-reading-about-it

note both links discuss the recent trend of over analyzing Brooklyn an whether we are more clever or ridiculous for our efforts. Cause when I say Brooklyn you say pseudo-sociology, am I right?

The comments are fun on the gawker page. I like (and relate to*) this one from OrneryBabe:


I was born and raised in Canarsie and have lived in Cobble Hill for 15 years (read: before it became annoying). Growing up, Brooklyn wasn't particularly special. It was just a nice place to live and go to school. No one was particularly aspiring to move here.

I despise the people who just got here last year from Nebraska/Iowa/North Dakota and regard themselves as oh so fucking awesome because they live out here. Suddenly they're the New Yorkiest New Yorkers evah. Never mind that they couldn't tell you how to get to Flatbush, or Church Avenue. Or that they have no idea what the Junction is or where to find it.

I find all the articles proclaiming the coolness of Brooklyn pretty amusing. How exciting it is that the hipsters have put us on the map!

I especially love when the new arrivals stare as they're trying to figure out just what the fuck I'm doing in their nabe (it happens a lot). It annoys me so.
 

(except that I did grow up thinking B'klyn was special)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your comments, no really, we would. Go for it. What's your Brooklyn view?